Sunday, April 5, 2009

Creme Caramel

A really good egg custard, with caramel and a hint of nutmeg, is a rare thing. Last night's flawless mould made by my trained pastry chef friend garnered a round of applause. My mother used to bring home custard tarts from the local bakery that had a similar nutmeggy sweetness, but a heavy pastry shell made those leaden compared with the impeccable lightness of this smooth offering. Brava!

The camera woes continue. I took out the borrowed Canon Powershot, into which I had placed fresh batteries straight from IKEA that afternoon, to capture this creation. The batteries were already dead, so this photograph was taken by a kind dinner guest with her cell phone and emailed to me.

No comments:

Post a Comment

Creative Commons License
Anglo-Brooklyn by Joy Holland is licensed under a Creative Commons Attribution-Noncommercial-Share Alike 3.0 United States License.